Monday, February 21, 2011

Possible conclusion

Over the weekend, I was doing my linguistics homework on phonology, and I really hit me that I really love this stuff. So while I was doing my homework, I was reading up on why people talk the way they do. It can be a health reason, or an effect from like a seizure. It can be because someone's tongue is smaller or bigger than normal. Also if a person does not move their mouth right. I am doing a paper on why autistic kids talk the way they talk, and it is very interesting. But when it happens to you in real life, and you experience something that you never expected before, that is when it really hit me. The other day, my mom suffered from a bad seizure. Because of the impact of the seizure, she lost her speech for a few days. Her words were all scrambled up and backwards. The doctor said it was normal, and that she would return back to normal in a few days, but I am telling you from personal experience that it is scary. To watch the fear in her face, and to hear the wrong words mummbaling out of her mouth was not something you are used to seeing. Then it hit me. I want to work with people who need my help. I want to be a speech teacher. I want to make them better. Even if it is an easy speech problem, or a hard task that occurred from something serious like a seizure. I want to be the person who can make an impact on someone's life by bettering them in the long run. I can finally say that I know what I want to make of my college degree/ years, and give them an actual good reason for why I want to do this for my life career :) My mood is finally satisfied

No comments:

Post a Comment